Saturday, September 09, 2006

Noid mask




I was asked to sculpt a full size Noid head so that it could be used for the Rose Parade in Portland Oregon. This is a photo of the original sculpt and the molding process of building up the "clay wall" so that I could form a separation line.

Will Vinton and his wife rode in a convertible next to the actor that was wearing the noid head. As you can see Spike the rabbit from the Speed Demon video is riding on the back of the convertible as well. Could that be Michael Jackson wearing the rabbit mask? This was many years ago but I still have that big noid head hanging in my garage.

6 Comments:

Anonymous M Flem Jr said...

Wow! I Bet That Was Fun To Do. Was It Hard Sculpting A Noid Head That Large When You Were Just Used To Doing It For A 6" Puppet? Spike Looks Cool As Well, Who Sculpted That Mask? Was It You? One Last Thing What Is That You Used To Sculpt The Noid Head Out Of? Looks Awesome Tony - M Flem Jr

DicePaintings-MFlemJr@Hotmail.Com

7:48 PM  
Blogger Tony Merrithew said...

It wasn't too bad. I sculpted it over a plaster life cast of the guys face that would be wearing the mask so that the inside of it was shaped like his face. I used Van Aken clay just like the stuff we animate with because it's pretty soft and workable. I didn't sculpt the rabbit mask and I'm not realy sure who did. I didn't get your email my bulk mail folder must have filtered it for some reason.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Kevin MacLean said...

was the spike rabbit costume the same one used in a few shots of the michael jackson video? it looks the same.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Tony Merrithew said...

Yes that's the same costume worn by M.J. in the Speed Demon video. There was only one costume made like that.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Kevin MacLean said...

Do you have anymore pictures from the Rose Parade?

3:51 PM  
Blogger Tony Merrithew said...

Kevin,

These are the only pictures I've ever seen of the parade. I'm not even sure who took this photo. I believe Will gave it to me.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home