Sunday, April 15, 2007

Ed 8" X 10" Oil




This little painting above busted my chops but it's a look that I like. It looks like a painting that an old buddy of mine did before he gave up painting. He's an artist in his 80's now and he had a long career as a portrait painter. He doesn't paint anymore because he's got Parkinson's but he says he "Sits in his front room and stares out at the ocean" It's a shame that he can't paint now because in his day he was the master in my mind. He once told me: "To be a portrait painter you have to paint 300 portraits from life" I responded with: "You've done 300 portraits from life?!!" He said "I started painting when I was 19 and by the time I was 22 I had done 300 from life" I decided that I needed to buckle down if I was going to get as good as he was so I've done about 150 so far. I've sculpted over 300 faces but haven't painted that many "yet".

2 Comments:

Anonymous M Flem Jr said...

Shoot at the rate you're going you'll reach 300 before thanksgiving! Good work Man!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Tony Merrithew said...

I don't know about that, the 300 have to be from life!

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home